73bd0976391e9b52b298c3d52da80230e466043ca88b66391d74465fcfd0d1ef6c8ab7786d6c9cc1 Akram's Shoppe ~ Eat Cheap TO

Wednesday 8 October 2014

Akram's Shoppe

I am yet to review anything quite this cheap that is quite this tasty.  This week I visited Akram's in Kensington market to chow down on their cheap chicken shawarma wraps.

191 Baldwin St. Toronto.  In Kensington Market


Akram's looks pretty great from the outside, the inside did however seem a little dim.  The small containers of various spices and seeds that lined the walls gave off a small not too dissimilar to bulk barn.



The food at the back however, was where I was headed.  On the front door there was a sign that drew me in very quickly...



Other items on the menu were pretty interesting too, the nice lady working at Akram's informed me that the falafel was equally as popular as the chicken shawarma.  Apparently this is a pretty popular place for cheap food in Toronto, rightfully so when it is seemingly surrounded by great bars within walking distance.  I would imagine this is also popular among students looking for cheap eats.

As I entered Akram's there was one person leaving and two more came through as I was eating.  Akram's seats around 12 people if you are willing to get cozy and I get the vibe that most of their customers are in and out in under 5 minutes.



My shawarma came with all the normal fixings that shawarma would, including some extremely moist and flavourful chicken, all in a freshly grilled pita.  Well done Akram's, you make it hard to justify spending any more than a $5 bill on a shawarma wrap ever again!



I also got a can of pop and a Turkish delight square, after the sweet lady behind the counter insisted that I do so.  This made my mini meal feel a little more like a meal, after all it DID include a dessert!

It is not often that you can get a drink, treat and some food for under $5.  This little meal cost me $4.85.  Here is the register after I had paid $20.  That;s a lot of change!


The menu was full of many other items that would come to well under $10.  That's a lot of cheap food!  If you want to bring more than a little food to a party or split with a few friends, lets just say I wouldn't mind being your friend.



Lets get this down to an at a glance view.

The shawarma wrap was all in all very tasty, very minimally messy as most wraps are, didn't leave me feeling too gross and left me with plenty of change.  The little cube of Turkish delight was an awesome touch and I am pretty sure I need to eat some more of that.  I think this may be some of the cheapest food I find in Toronto, perfect mid-night out food.  Well done Akrams!

0 comments:

Post a Comment